Saturday, May 30, 2009

Today is the first day of not being so lazy

So I tried to kickstart this lil' blog a while back with my rant about Obama.  Yeah, that lasted for all of a couple of hours.  At least it got back to kicking around in my head, so here I am trying to start it again.  Let's see if I can get back to semi-regular posting.

In the spirit of easy, light-hearted prattle, I have decided to come up with a list of things I want to do before I leave Chicago (it's only a month, how crazy is that?)  In no particular order:

Eat at Clarke's at 2 in the morning - (Melrose would work too.)  It's been way too long.  Mainly because I think their food took a major turn for the worse.  But still, I miss going out for a full meal in the middle of the night.  Especially when I've had a few drinks and I get really excited about eating mountains of food, and then having two bites before I realize that all I really want to do is sleep.  I even miss the random drunk people making a scene.  It's part of the charm.
Wander around Millennium Park like  a midwestern tourist - I'm gonna admit, I haven't actually been to Millennium Park since that one House event right after it opened.  And even then, I think all I did was walk under the Space Jellybean.  It's time to lose the snobby attitude and join in with the gawkers.
Hit the beach - Not such an exciting aspiration, but this may be my last chance to go to an actual beach for a while, seeing as I'm heading to a state with nothing but rivers and "lakes" that are actually glorified ponds
Shop at the giant Macy's - Seriously, it's like its own little city.  Sure I can only afford like 20% of the items there and the chances of actually finding those items is tiny, but I want to soak in all of the retail excess before I leave
Go running downtown - I think the most fun I've ever had running is when I went down the Embarcadero in San Francisco.  People-dodging adds interest and an extra challenge to the excursion.  Another thing I might try is to just start running north and go as long as I possibly can, then take a bus home.  Sure to be a good time, although I'm sure that the other busgoers would not be too happy to share their space with a sweaty, panting guy in running shorts.
Buy the "Where fun comes to die" T-shirt and other school merchandise - Since I'm leaving the good ole' U of C, I need to start showing my pride.  Not to mention my mom'll kill me if I leave without getting her a bumper sticker.
Become officially overweight - It turns out that for somebody who's 5'11'', you're officially overweight on the BMI scale if you're over 180 lbs.  Seeing as I'm currently at 177, I think it'd be hilarious to be both overweight and in the best shape of my life.  Besides, while I'm in Davenport, I'm not sure if I'll even get a gym membership and I'll probably spend most of my time running anyway (SO excited for the Bix), so this may be my last chance to bulk up for a while.  

I'm sure that there's more.  If I weren't so poor, I'd try to do things that cost money, like go to the opera and the symphony.  However, I need to start saving for the move and the month and a half that I'll be living without a paycheck.  Besides, if things go my way, I may be paying vet bills in a few months...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What I miss from Chicago? Not actually all that much, since I never went anywhere during college, and later visits were kindof busy.

Many tasty tasty restaurants we found over the years. And the Hopleaf - best selection of ciders and lambics in many-a-city.

The aquarium, and the new museum campus. And everything else they did with the lakefront.

So... I take it you aren't visiting before you leave =)

Cristina said...

I approve of all of these. Next time we're doing Boystown we should do diner food. I miss that too. But you better get started on the list!