Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Good for you, CNN

At least somebody's talking about gay immigration rights and the HIV travel ban. Whereas, from Obama we get a proclamation. A written statement that's so vague on details it's laughable. "Oh, we're really proud of gay people and it sucks that they suffer everywhere." At least he's said something, I guess, which is better than the endless string of non-answers from Gibbs. Still, I won't be happy until Obama starts actually fighting to overturn DOMA and DADT. Hell, even Cheney is a stronger proponent of gay rights than him. Now that's sad.

Although, I would like to keep a positive note going. Cheney's statement supporting gay rights is evidence of a very strong trend in America. The more progress we make towards equality, the more open people are about their sexuality, and the more people see that, wow, gay people are just like us! It's starting to reach an exponential phase, and I wouldn't be surprised to see civil unions at least in a majority of states in just a few years. I'm almost certain that, by the time I've found somebody to marry, I'll be able to do so with at least some sort of federal recognition. It's a good feeling, even if I'm still disappointed by our "fierce advocate" in the White House.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Who are the best people working/campaigning on this issue right now? It's moved so rapidly over the last year that I don't really know who I should be supporting.

For example, my city has a big pride organization - but marriage equality doesn't look to be a major topic for them. Is there a national organization I should be supporting instead?